Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I love my ring. Enough said.

When Sam & I began talking about getting married, I mentioned some styles of rings I liked, but also told him that I wasn't going to pick out my own. I felt like if I was going to marry someone, he should know me well enough to choose a ring that when he looks at it he thinks "MEAGHAN!". Well, I think Sam had that reaction and that's what I love most about it. I know he thought about it and wanted it to be special.

Anyways, yes, I love my ring and wear it every day! I'm not sure I've left the house without it. I know I've left, but have turned around to get it - it's a part of me!
Sidenote: I do have to say that I take it off when I sleep & shower and if I'm doing chores around the house, only to not get it scratched up and worn out - BUT when I'm out, I'm proudly displaying the symbol of love my husband has given me =)

Since living with my husband (3 months, woo!), I've noticed we are a little different about a couple things. Today's topic: rings.

I know Sam loves being married, but man does this boy love to fidget with his ring. I catch him playing with his ring and dropping it on the floor multiple times each night. While I don't dare drop my ring, he's a little less cautious about it. He also leaves the house without it on occasion, and again I know we are always married and a ring doesn't decide this for us, this is just a difference I've recognized lately.

A while ago, I was reading a book on communication in marriage (and no we're not having marriage problems, just reading so we won't have them in the future), and they made a point about men & women and their rings. The engagement ring is given to the woman as a sign that they will soon be married. The woman wears this ring and receives acknowledgment over it often. When the man & woman get married, usually the woman gets another ring (or two) and the man receives his. After the wedding, the man will go on to work harder (generally speaking) jobs and will require his ring to be off more, for safety and comfort. The woman will continue to wear her ring(s), no matter what, day in and day out.

The book went on to show the differences in priorities for a husband & wife. I find these kind of examples most interesting because I see them happening in my own marriage and I don't feel so alone in what I'm going through.

Let's be honest, Sam & I are different in more than just the topic of our rings, but that's what keeps things interesting. I love learning about Sam and what he's thinking. I hope he feels the same way about me.

Stay tuned for more differences & likes...

No comments:

Post a Comment