Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend Recap: Memorial Day

Boy, was this weekend great or what? I certianly wish every weekend was 3 days long -- I'd fit so much more in & still feel rested. Here's our Memorial Day weekend recap!

Friday: Sam & I love our long weekends, so Friday night couldn't have come sooner! We came home from work, made our grocery list, then headed to Costco. After Costco, we came home and picked up our gym clothes & headed out for a evening workout. As soon as we pulled in, we realized that Friday nights were the nights to go to the gym because there was almost no one there! Following our workout, we stopped to fill up on propane so we could go home and grill up some steak. I love having someone who knows his way around the grill!

Saturday: I woke up early with plans to meet up with my best friend Kelly in Portland. Since arriving back from Thailand and moving to Portland, we've had a heck of a time trying to make our schedules work & find a time to get together. Luckily, this weekend worked for the both of us! I arrived at her house around 9am and we walked down to a local coffee shop to drink tea & catch up. After a few hours, we picked ourselves up & walked around the neighborhoods to a couple yard sales. Then, we walked back to her house, picked up my car, tracked down a few estate sales & were on our way again. Although we didn't find anything spectacular, we did have fun and enjoyed the time together. We ended the day with some lunch and then I headed home.

When I got home, Sam was waiting for me. It's so nice to come home & feel loved! We hung around & grilled burgers for dinner (yum!) . Since we had no plans for Saturday night & nothing was on TV, we took the pups on a walk around the neighborhood, dropped them back at home, headed back out for a walk to pick up a Redbox movie & McFlurries. The walk ended up feeling longer (and a little cooler, since the sun was setting) , but a good way to spend our time. We picked The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as our movie choice and were on our way home. Good movie, a little on the long side.

Sunday: Sunday seemed pretty typical. We got up, got ready, and headed to church. After church, we went home & ate some lunch, then went to the gym. Like Friday nights, Sunday afternoons are another great time to go to the gym! Sunday afternoon was lazy (the way we like it) , with some cake baking thrown in (for the following day) .

Monday: Sam & I had high hopes for an early start on our day off. Since it was Memorial Day, the gym was on limited hours. We thought it'd be nice to get in a morning workout, but when the alarm clock went off, we opted for more sleep. We ended up getting out of bed & getting ready for our day around 8:30am. By 9:30am, we were on our way to Sandy to hang out with the family for the day. After a quick stop at the outlet malls, we made it to Sandy and spent a couple hours just with Sam's parents. Then we headed out to Sam's grandparent's house and set up for lunch. The cake I baked yesterday was my contribution for the day. I hadn't made a cake from scratch before, so I picked an easy white cake for my first. It was good, but when I went to make red frosting, I could only get it pink. That was my only disappointment. After 4+ hours of sitting in the sun & catching up with family, we were tired (& oh so burnt!) . We cleaned up a little and headed back to Sam's parent's house. We played a game of "Fact or Crap", which Sam won! and then packed up to head home. We arrived home around 8:30pm and scooted up to bed. Unfortunately, I burned a little more than I would have liked. My poor knee caps are the worst and will hopefully tan out soon. Overall, a good day was had by all & it was a nice end to the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment