Thursday, May 3, 2012

You Have No Idea #BHBC


Whenever I’m at the grocery store, I can’t help but take a peak at the celebrity gossip magazines.  Often the pictures on the covers are less than flattering, yet I still wonder about their high profile every day life and how much it probably differs from my own.  Which, more times than not, is completely false.  And I was proved wrong once again while reading Vanessa Williams’ memoir, “You Have No Idea”, an account of Vanessa’s life through both her &, her mother, Helen’s eyes.

Vanessa Williams was a celebrity name I had heard before, but didn’t know much more beyond her recent parts on Ugly Better & Desperate Housewives.  From her childhood, to Miss America scandal, to current day and everything in between, Vanessa and her mom reveal the good, the bad, and the ugly of growing up in the spotlight and how they tried to live as normal as possible.

Honestly, I wasn’t sure what I was going to be reading about when I picked up the book, but actually enjoyed hearing about Vanessa’s trials & triumphs through the years.  Not only did I learn more about someone I may have judged on gossip alone, but I also realized that even if one is in the spotlight, they are still human and still experience the emotions & experiences that we “commoners” do as well.

To find out more about this book, check out BlogHer’s Book Club and even join in a few discussions.

While I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review, all opinions expressed above are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment