Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Invisible Children House Party


I believe I've mentioned Invisible Children on here at least once before, but for those interested in reading more, click here.


I was first introduced to IC through Bethany (bridesmaid/great friend) in 2006, after we had gone to New Orleans. Bethany was the contact for George Fox and was preparing for a movie screening for the students. I walked into the auditorium not knowing anything about the organization or the movie and came out with my mind blown. Seriously, if you haven't heard of this organization or what's going on in Uganda, then check it out! You will hardly believe it.


Three years later, IC put out a new movie and is planning a "rescue" event at the end of April. I participated in the Global Night Commute three years ago by "commuting" to Pioneer Square in Portland and spending the night there, just as the Invisible Children do each night in Uganda to get away from the LRA. This new event is similar, but different. And it's happening all over the country (and beyond) .


My best friend, Kelly, and her housemates threw an awesome house party on Sunday night, full of food, music, and of course, the new IC movie. The house was packed! Although a small venue, having the place full meant there were a lot of people being exposed to the sadness going on in Uganda. I sure hope that it affected at least one person in attendance, hopefully more.


It's easy to think, "what can I do? I'm only one person." but if the right person finds out what's going on and wants to stop it, the sky's the limit. And the hope with the event happening in a month is to get those people who are higher up (politicians & celebrities) to use their power to make a difference. Oh my, how wonderful it would be to see an end to those pain & suffering those innocent children are faced with every day. Like I said, take a look & become aware of what's going on. Maybe you know someone who can make a difference.

1 comment: